April 11-14, 2024
Osage Beach, Missouri
Tan-Tar-A Conference Center
494 Tan Tara Drive
Osage Beach, Missouri 65065
Call for Papers CLOSED
Hotel Reservation Information
Tan-Tar-A Conference Center
494 Tan-Tar-A Estate Drive
Osage Beach, MO 65065
800-Tan-Tar-A or 800-826-8272
Visit their website: https://www.tan-tar-a.com/stay
Group Code: SPCH
A special Convention room rate of $149 for single, double, triple or quad occupancy will be available until March 12, 2024, or until the room block is sold out, whichever occurs first. One-bedroom suite rates are $242 per night and two-bedroom suite rates are $327 per night. Be sure to mention the Missouri Speech-Language-Hearing Association in order to receive this rate. Tan-Tar-A Conference Center cannot guarantee room placement. Hotel room rates are subject to applicable state, local and a county lodging tax at the rate effective at the time of check-in.
2024 Convention Highlights
- School SLP: Stephen Groner, renowned social media podcaster and highly sought-after speacker will provide a Friday short course on How to Treat Stuttering “the SLP Stephen” Way
- CLINICAL SLP’s: Dr. Ianessa Humbert, renowned social media podcaster and highly sought-after speaker will provide a Saturday short-course on
- Swallowing Disorders as well as an additional focused session for SLPs.
- AAC & AI: Innovative and accessible technology is at the forefront of this year’s Convention offerings, with multiple presentations in AAC, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Virtual Reality and Gaming with speaker Erik Raj!
- NEW!: The Thursday Night “Show-Me Smackdown” Event is an Open Mic session to share your “favorite therapy things.” Bring your favorite app, activity or tool to share with your MSHA colleagues. This interactive and lively exchange of ideas promises to offer a wealth of practical insights and creative approaches to therapy.
- “LIGHTNING ROUNDS:’’ A brand new spin on the popular Round Robin sessions. Hosted in conjunction with the Silent Auction and Friday Night Happy Hour. You won’t want to miss the wide array of exciting short presentations.
- KEYNOTE SPEAKER: SLP Stephen (Groner), a fluency specialist and a person who stutters, Instagram Influencer with over 24k followers, author and motivational speaker will share his story at the President’s Luncheon on Saturday.
- The Exhibit Hall opens at 10:00 am Friday morning through Saturday afternoon.
- Silent Auction bidding opens at 10:00 am and closes at 6:00 pm Friday.
- Audiology sessions on Saturday, are curated to include presentations on auditory pocessing, vestibular function and a specialized panel of audiology experts on Saturday afternoon.
- Root for your favorite State University at the Quest for the Cup on Saturday at 6:30 pm.
- ATTENTION STUDENTS: This year’s Convention will offer an abundance of student focused sessions and networking opportunities in addition to the student technical sessions and poster sessions on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Be sure to visit the student lounge and participate in the interview and resume workshop for a chance at one of several scholarships offered on Friday and Saturday of the Convention.
- Pre-register for a great deal on Convention fees.
- Sign-up for a Short Course to experience a more intense discussion with a renowned speaker. Additional $40 for access to all short courses.
- Register and pay for a convenient Friday box lunch and the Saturday President’s Luncheon, on the registration form.
Before You Come:
- WE LOVE VOLUNTEERS!: The Convention Planning Team is seeking interested attendees to volunteer. Volunteer positions include session moderators, judges and registration table attendants.
- Bring your Silent Auction donations by Friday morning to support our MSH Foundation student scholarships fund and attend our Silent Auction, Lightning Rounds and Happy Hour Event on Friday Night!
- Bring any materials you no longer need and donate to SWAPS, a program that offers used materials to students to assist them as they get a start in their careers. (located in the Exhibit Hall).
Come Ready to Earn and Learn!
- Follow MSHA on Facebook and Instagram to get live updates from the Convention!
- Download the Pathfinder App to access handouts, session abstracts and receive updates.
- Stop by the Registration Table when you arrive to get your Convention essentials. You can sign up to be a volunteer when you register!
- Stop by the MSHA Cares table to make your contribution to this year’s Special Project.
We thank you, the attendees, in advance for making the 65th annual MSHA Annual Meeting & Convention “MSHA Momentum” a success!
We can’t wait to see you at the Lake!
April Jardes, SLPD, CCC-SLP, Convention Chair
Jamie Burkett MS, CCC-SLP, Convention Co-Chair
Letter From the President
I am so excited to reveal the theme, highlights and key information regarding our 65th MSHA Annual Convention this April 11-14, 2024 at Tan Tar-A Conference Center in Osage Beach! Our theme MSHA Momentum: Resilience, Reconnection, Reinvention is a testament to MSHA’s resilience in the face of recent challenges, commitment to reconnection within the speech and hearing community and dedication to the process of reinvention. I am so proud of our hard working and forward thinking 2024 Convention Planning Team! They have succeeded in providing a full and diverse program of professional learning opportunities with creative spins on some of our recurring sessions. Additional highlights include renowned speakers, innovative topics, exciting additions for our student attendees—including a lower fee, and so much more!
I ask you to share this information with any non MSHA member peer (SLP, AUD, SLPA). Members can join at any time to receive the convention fee discount. Working together we are stronger! See you in April!
Andrea Richards, MEd CCC SLP
Registration is Open!
Visit Convention Registration
Do It Scared: “Why You Should Make Fear Your Friend”
Stephen Groner, MS, CCC-SLP – “SLP Stephen”
Stephen started stuttering when he was three and he received life-changing speech therapy when he was 17 that allowed him to speak easily and enjoyably for the first time. He now shares his stuttering knowledge and tips online as @slp.stephen and is the creator of innovative online courses to help make stuttering therapy simpler and less scary for harried SLPs at slpstephen.com. He received his bachelors and masters from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee and has given presentations about stuttering to thousands of SLPs across the country. Known for being upbeat, engaging, and super practical, Stephen is someone you want to see if you want some help treating stuttering or professional life in general.
Keynote presentation will take place during the President’s Celebration during lunch on Saturday.
Short Course Speakers
Friday, April 12, 8:00 am -11:00 am
PRESENTER Steven Groner, MS, CCC-SLP
How to Treat Stuttering “the SLP Stephen Way”
Saturday, April 13, 8:00 am 12:00 pm
PRESENTER Ianessa Humbert, PhD
Swallow Physiology Masterclass by STEP
Friday, April 12
Shelley Blackwell, SLP-D
MTSS & S SLD in Literacy-How The SLP Can Help
8:00 am – 11:00 am
Supporting Orthography and Morphology Development Through Specialized Interventions
1:45 pm – 4:45 pm
Saturday, April 13
Ianessa Humbert , PhD
SLP Solidarity: Innovations in the Profession
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Erik Raj, PhD, CCC-SLP
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Ideas for School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists
8:00 am – 11:00 am
Video Games for Therapeutic Success in Speech-Language Therapy
2:30 pm – 5:00 pm
2024 MSHA Cares: Hope Speaks
To learn more about Hope Speaks, go to: https://joinhopespeaks.org.
Student Activities at the Convention
MSHA is providing unique opportunities for student attendees at the Annual Convention. The following are opportunities that should not be missed!
The 65th Annual MSHA Convention will offer presentations specifically geared for the student audience. Presentations cover important and relevant topics for current students and provide an opportunity for networking.
Come to the Exhibit Hall and visit the Student Lounge! Relax, converse and share with fellow students.
MSHA Student Research Awards
Talented students will present their research in both technical and poster presentation formats. Student Research Awards will once again be offered in each of the following categories:
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Poster Presentation
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Stand and Deliver Presentation
- Outstanding Graduate Student Poster Presentation
- Outstanding Graduate Student Stand and Deliver Presentation
- Outstanding Cultural Competence Research Poster
- Outstanding Cultural Competence Technical Session
Annual Quest for the Cup Competition
What would the MSHA Convention be without the Annual Quest for the Cup Competition? Start planning your university’s team now. Enter and compete to win.
The Quest for the Cup will kick-off with the Quest Tailgate Party. Quest team members and fans are encouraged to attend the Tailgate Party to socialize and generate spirit prior to the event – wear your university apparel!
The ethics sessions 7, 16, 57, SC2 are offered separately for up to 0.4 ASHA CEUs (various levels).
Supervision session 5, 12 are offered separately for up to 0.2 ASHA CEUs (intermediate level).
The DEI sessions 13, 15, 20, 23, 32, 42, 46 are offered separately for up to 0.3 ASHA CEUs (various levels).
The Missouri Speech-Language-Hearing Association is approved by the American Academy of Audiology to offer Academy CEUs for this activity. The program is worth a maximum of 0.18 CEUs Academy approval of this continuing education activity is based on course content only and does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedure, or adherence of the event to the Academy’s Code of Ethics. Any views that are presented are those of the presenter/CE Provider and not necessarily of the American Academy of Audiology.